Lighthouse

PQM - Waste Water Treatment Plant

History

City of Lorain began its involvement in pollution abatement in the early 1920’s, that’s when the City prepared its plan for sanitary sewerage improvements. This plan set a precedent for collecting all the sewage through a system trunk sewer to a common outfall located at the mouth of the Black River. In 1955 a primary wastewater treatment plant was constructed at the mouth of the Black River, that plant was updated in 1972 allowing an additional secondary treatment facility capable of handling 15 million gallons a day.

Because of the City of Lorain’s potential west side growth, the PQM plant was constructed and put in service in 1988. It is located on the corner of West Erie and Oak Point road. The design flow for the plant is 5.4 million gallons a day. When combined with the Black River plant’s flow, both wastewater plants can treat over 20 million gallons of sewage a day. Hydraulically (during rain conditions) the PQM plant can handle approximately 18mgd, when combined with the Black River plant the total hydraulic amount being processed by these plants is approximately 55mgd.

Process

The PQM plant is considered a Trickling filter treatment facility. Basically, the plant processes sewage in different stages, the first stage consists of a physical process where raw flow is detained in settling tanks separating solids, next the flow goes through the Trickling filters which is a biological process, in that the trickling filter media has live organisms and feeds on wastewater nutrients from the fresh flow. The flow then goes to additional settling tanks for further physical solids processing. The final effluent produced at the plant is discharged into Lake Erie. The sludge that’s generated from the settling tanks is prepared and processed in the digesters. The processed sludge is then trucked to the Black River plant were it is pressed and land applied as fertilizer.