About Law Department
Director of Law
Patrick D. RileyLaw_Director@CityofLorain.org
- J.D. Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- B.A. Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
- Brookside High School, Sheffield Village, Ohio
- Elected Lorain Law Director November 3, 2009
- Admitted to practice United States Federal District Court
- Admitted to practice United States Supreme Court
- Sheffield Lake City Prosecutor 1984-1989
- Private Practice since 1979
- Extensive litigation experience
- Labor relations/negotiation experience
- Business organization experience
- Criminal Justice System Experience
- Married to Angela Marotta
- Children Joseph, John & Erin
Assistant Law Directors/Prosecutors
Duties of the Law Director
The City Law Director is elected for a term of four years. The responsibilities of the office include:
- Serves as legal counsel for all elected officials, directors and councilpersons of the City of Lorain
- Preparing all contracts, bonds, ordinances and written instruments in which the City of Lorain is concerned.
- Responsible for prosecuting and defending all complaints, suits and controversies in which the City of Lorain is a party.
- Responsible for reviewing ordinances to be considered by Lorain City Council.
- Serves as prosecuting attorney for the Lorain Municipal Court; prosecuting cases for the City of Lorain and Sheffield Township.