Per City Of Lorain codified ordinance 373.12, “No person who resides within this City shall ride a bicycle on any street or upon any public path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles unless such bicycle has been licensed and a license sticker is attached thereto as provided herein.”
- Application for a bicycle license shall be made upon a form provided by the City to the City Auditor. To download the form, click here.
- A license fee of Three dollars ($3.00) shall be paid to the City before each license is granted.
- The license is good for the life of the bicycle or for the time that you own it.
- You must have the serial number of the bicycle and your social security number to get a license.
- A good spot to put your license would be below the seat, on the frame, where it will be protected from sun and rain.
- Upon the sale or other transfer of a licensed bicycle the new owner shall make application to the City Auditor for a fee of Three dollars ($3.00) to have the license assigned to the new owner.
- Whenever an original license sticker has been lost and not attached to the bicycle a duplicate shall be issued by the City Auditor for a fee of one dollar ($1.00).
- It is always a great idea to wear a bicycle helmet, especially for young children. It can save your life!
- Always obey traffic signals and ride on the right side of the road.
- For more information, a list of rules and regulations is available upon request or you can click here to view the City of Lorain's Codified Ordinances on-line.
Common sense safety such as protecting your bike with a lock and not leaving it unattended will help in the prevention of bicycle theft. However, if you bicycle has been stolen, always make out a police report with your bicycle license number included.
Having a bicycle license allows us to keep record of your serial number along with your name so that we can easily identify whom the lost bike belongs to.