Garbage & Waste Information
Residential bulk trash will be collected once per month on your regularly scheduled pickup day during the second full week of the month as noted below. Items that by size or weight are too large to fit in the container, such as miscellaneous household furniture and appliances, may be placed next to the blue trash container on the bulk collection day. Do not place extra trash in large contractor bags as they will not be picked up.
Bulk Pick-Up Collection Weeks:
- January 14, 2019
- February 11, 2019
- March 11, 2019
- April 8, 2019
- May 13, 2019
- June 10, 2019
- July 8, 2019
- August 12, 2019
- September 9, 2019
- October 8, 2019
- November 11, 2019
- December 9, 2019
Bulk Pick-Up Specifics:
- Appliances are collected as follows: Refrigerators and freezers, DOORS AND FREON MUST BE REMOVED and the item must be tagged by a certified technician.
- All Freon bearing appliances must have the Freon removed and must be tagged by a certified technician.
- Carpet and wood should be cut to four (4) foot lengths, weigh no more than 40 pounds, be rolled and tied/bundled together, and all nails or screws must be removed or hammered down.
- Boxes should be broken down and must not be longer than four (4) feet in length, weigh no more than 40 pounds, and must be tied/bundled. Do not put items in boxes and place at the curb.
- Mattresses and box springs must be completely wrapped in plastic and must be sealed with heavy duty tape. Unwrapped mattress and box springs will not be collected.
- Up to six (6) large items may be placed at the curbside for bulk collections.
- Up to six (6) - 35 gal bags of trash. No individual bag can weigh more than 40 pounds.
- No additional containers or boxes of trash are allowed to be placed out.
SOLID WASTE INFORMATION
All waste must be placed in the 95-gallon blue container with the black lid. Containers must be placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day, but no earlier than 7:00 p.m. the night before. Containers must be placed with the arrows pointing towards the street to allow for the collection of your container contents.
A 65-gallon dark blue container with a light blue lid is provided for all of your weekly recycling needs. Recycling containers will be emptied on a weekly basis on your regular collection day.
Acceptable Recycling Items:
- Aluminum, steel and bi-metal food and beverage cans only
- Glass Items: Food and beverage bottles only and jars. Empty and rinse containers and remove caps.
- Plastics: Food and beverage containers marked #1 through #7 only. Empty and rinse containers and remove caps.
- Plastic Detergent and soap containers marked #1 through #7 only. Empty and rinse containers and remove caps.
- Paper: Newspaper, newspaper inserts, magazines, junk mail, cardboard and paperboard items such as cereal and clean pizza boxes
- Cartons: All kinds of cartons are acceptable including milk, juice and other cartons
NOT Acceptable Recycling Items:
- Containers with excessive food or liquids still in container
- Styrofoam, aluminum foil, pie tins, etc.
- Window glass, mirrors, drinking glasses, light bulbs, ceramics, china, etc.
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap, flower pots, toys, etc.
- Scrap metal, car parts, batteries, etc.
- Shredded paper is not acceptable
- Yard waste is not to be placed in the recycling container
During 2019, yard waste collection will begin on your regular collection day during the week of April 15, 2019. Yard waste collection will run through your last collection day in November.
Yard waste must be placed in brown paper bio-degradable bags or in a 32 gallon plastic loose (unbagged) which have been clearly marked "yard waste" or "YW" and do not weigh in excess of 40 pounds. There is no limit to number of yard waste bags or containers that can be placed out each week. Plastic bags containing yard waste will not be collected.
Small branches must be cut and bundled and must not exceed four (4) feet in length and the bundles cannot weigh more than 40 pounds. Branches larger than six (6) inches will not be collected with yard waste. In addition, plastic bags, dirt and stone will not be collected with yard waste.
Suggested ways to handle excess trash include private dumpster rental or taking items to the landfill at 43502 Oberlin-Elyria Road in Oberlin.